What Not to Buy at the Dollar Store-Wrap Up


I've had a lot of fun this week during my series of 
what not to buy at the dollar store and a few things that you should buy
If you missed any of the posts you can catch up with the 
original post
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Did you learn anything new?
Today, I'm going to wrap up the series with the most popular items that my readers have been commenting on.  I have appreciated all of the comments and have learned a few new things myself!
Most of these will be items to buy, so get your lists ready and make some notes.
Pregnancy Tests: Snag it
{these are pretty cheap too}
The Dollar Store has really accurate pregnancy tests
Several of my readers have told me they saved a lot of money buying these tests
They really are more accurate than some of the brand name tests you can pick up for $15 a piece.
Don't believe me?
Compare them with other brands here

Glow Sticks: Snag it
Kids like glow sticks
{these glow sticks are just as cheap}
Crayola explosion gear: Snag it
Yesterday, I stopped in and found that our local store got a shipment of Crayola Glow Expressions kits.
They had sand art, glow stick kits (with 40 glow sticks included), and glow paint.
I snagged some to put in the kids Easter baskets.
Such a great deal since they are currently selling on-line for $10-$15 a piece.
Puzzles: Snag it
I give my snag it seal of approval on puzzles, but only on puzzles under 150 pieces.
There are many big name character puzzles that would cost you much more at the regular store.
I found that anything more than 150 pieces gets flimsy. 
So stay away from the 500 piece puzzles.
Also, the board puzzles made for toddlers should be avoided.
The pieces just don't fit together well and are just plain frustrating.
If it's made by a big name company like Marvel or Disney, snag it, it will make for hours of fun


Glitter Glue: Snag it
Tales of a Trophy WIfe said she buys the glitter glue. 
It's great for projects with kids who want a little sparkle without having the mess of glitter.
Cuz as my husband says, glitter is the herpes of the craft world.


Sunday Paper-Snag it
You can't find the Sunday paper cheaper than $1.
I think this is THE best deal at the Dollar Store if you clip coupons.


Reading Glasses-Snag it
jjflamingo said... 
                 another awesome snag are the reading glasses. they are $5.00 and up everywhere else.
I don't need these yet, but I hear they are a great deal

Helium Balloons-Snag it


Quick Eraser (Fake Mr. Clean)-Snag it
I love Mr. Clean magic erasers.  Like love them so much I would marry them.
They clean and erase spots so much better than I ever thought possible.  So when I saw this knock off a few years ago I had to try it.
Love it!


Furniture Polish and Window Cleaner: Snag it
Both things I use often, both things worth picking up
Windex does not corner the market on window cleaner and Pledge doesn't either
You can read about Anna's top secret cleaning tip (hint, it involves furniture polish) here.


Sun dishwashing liquid: Pass
This stuff is so watered down that it's cheaper to buy the name brand


Potted Meat: Pass
I'm pretty sure potted meat is never a good idea
also, any "meat" at The Dollar Store-gross!


Bobby pins: Pass
Honestly didn't know anyone could screw up bobby pins
but they did.
Don't bother
try these instead


Crayons: Pass
There is something to be said for Crayola.  They have crayons figured out.
These are just waxy and yuck


Bubbles: Snag it
I buy these by the armful during the summer
Cheap, big and full of fun


Petroleum Jelly: Snag it
Several of you mentioned that this is something you pick up at the Dollar store.
We still have a jar of it from a few years ago, and it works great.


Foil Pans: Snag it
Lots of you commented on how you stock up on foil pans at the dollar store.
As you can see they have a HUGE selection and variation of sizes.


Gift Bags: Snag it
Out of all of the comments, most of you told me that you pick up your gift bags at the Dollar Store.
I don't buy bags often but there have been times when my supply has been running low and I have picked a few up.


I'm not steering you wrong with the items I gave my "snag it" seal of approval on.
And of course, if I gave it a "pass" buy at your own risk.  I warned you!

I'm always surprised at some of the new things I find at the Dollar Store.
It's always an adventure.
Have fun shopping!

10 comments

  1. Rachel, I have been following all week your posts on What not to buy at the Dollar Store. I have been shaking my ahead in agreement most of the time and surprised at things I have missed at our store. I couldn't think of anything to add until last night when my daughter lost a screw in her glasses and I remembered seeing a glasses repair kit there right after I had spent $4 on one at the drug store. I have not had need to buy this kit, so can't say for sure it is a snag, but the price is right!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really fun post to read!! I woud like to add cardstock to your list - you can pick up some great card-stock in pads form - perfect for making cards and a fraction of the price from the craft store!
    Lowri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just at the dollar store the other day wondering how they can sell all this stuff for only $1!! Great info, so glad to know about the dish soap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea for a series. I never knew about the pregnancy tests. We'll have to keep that one in mind.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love this! And very good to know about the dish soap. I usually only use Dawn but have often wondered about this one. I was just turned on to the furniture polish and I love it. Oh and the gift wrap is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these lists but I would offer one more.

    My 99c Only stores have been offering some Disney and Marvel reusable bags. These are not the flimsy ones that come for Halloween, but the ones you actually can reuse.
    I find all the Mickey ones and use them for my 2 year old's "go bags" for toys and books when we have to go to the doctor's office or elsewhere. I have found similar bags at the Disney Store upwards of $5 or MORE! Even Walmart has them for about $4-5 so 99c is a STEAL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some awesome ideas!! Thanks for the tips for what not to by as well! I love this series you did! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this series of posts! How many times to go to the Dollar Store (I live less than a mile from 4!) and stand staring at items, wondering if I dare! I need to make a list from these to carry with me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite 'dollar store' items are the mesh bags. One of the stores near us (I think Dollar Tree) has green ones in the auto section- I use them as an alternative to plastic bags for grocery shopping. They are light weight and washable.
    They also have the tightly woven laundry zipper bags --those are great for keeping kids little things together.
    - my parents buy their cards there.
    - we rarely go to movies, but when we do, we let the kids get some candy from there.

    Pass - pretty much ALL of their toys, generic tylenol (you can get a much better deal buying Target's generic version), crayons

    ReplyDelete
  10. I we t to party America to get various colors of tissue paper. Mistake $2.50 per package and they were small. Dollar store has variety of colors, and sparkly confetti ones- plus they had longer paper and more of it -rawr!!!! I just buy white now and paint, spritz or stamp my decorating on it.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top