A few good reads. Rachel's book selections just for you!



So it's been a few months since I posted Good Reads with Holy Craft.
I guess I haven't been reading much. 
Or maybe I wasn't reading anything worth sharing.
Whatevs

Today, I finally have a few good reads to share with you.

Wild Things The Art of Nurturing Boys
by Stephen James and David Thomas
Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys

This book was recommended to me by a friend of mine (thanks Jenny) and mom of three very active little boys.  
It's a LONG book (took me longer than I would like to admit to read through it) that is written by two therapists who are also fathers raising five sons.
It's got lots of practical advice and addresses the various stages of development broken down by age group, focusing on the physical, spiritual and emotional parts of boys.
Not a beach read, but definitely worth reading if you are raising young men.

**as a side note, my daughter saw the book on my nightstand and was confused by the fancy font on the title.  She read the title out loud questioningly asking "the art of neutering boys???"

As much as I love books, I also love encouraging reading in my kids.

One of my favorite series by far is Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park.

Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch (Junie B. Jones Series #19)

The first time I picked up a Junie B. Jones book I didn't get it.  
The grammar and misspellings threw me off.
But after I read it in the tone of a 6 year old, it has by far been our favorite series to read with the kids.
The humor in the Junie B. series keeps both my husband and I on our toes and often times has us laughing out loud.
I add this book series to my list because for the past few months, we have been re reading through the entire series with our younger two kids and loving story time each night.

My Name is Mary Sutter
by Robin Oliveira
My Name Is Mary Sutter: A Novel
My Name is Mary Sutter is a historical novel following a young midwife determined to be a surgeon in a time when having a woman in medicine was unheard of.  This book follows Mary's career as she leaves home and travels to Washington DC to help the wounded men in the Civil war.

The Best of Me
by Nicholas Sparks
The Best of Me
I'm not normally one to like this type of love story, but I needed an easy read to get my mojo back and thought this book might do the trick. The Best of Me is a Romeo and Juliet type love story with the High School sweethearts reconnecting after a 25 year separation.  Unfortunately, 25 years of separation includes a marriage by one of the lovers, which in turn leads to infidelity.  Then after the infidelity, the book becomes very predictable.  Sorry peeps, one of those books I read but wouldn't recommend.

One For The Money
by Janet Evanovich
One for the Money (Movie Tie-in) (Stephanie Plum Novels)
I have had several friends recommend the Stephanie Plum novel series to me, but hadn't paid much attention until I found it on my library shelf one day and thought I would give it a try.  One for the Money follows Stephanie Plum on her new job as a bounty hunter trying to capture a local vice cop.  She has no experience and has lots to learn.  It's a good easy beach read to add to your summer reading list.

So, that's what I've been reading.  What have you been reading?

2 comments

  1. YAY!!! I've been wondering what to read next!! Great selections!

    Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through C.R.A.F.T.. I work in a library and love books so much!!!! Junie B Jones is mega cute! My husband and I have been sharing our favorite books from when we were kids. Have you heard of the Mrs Piggle-Wiggle books? They are super cute. Another series I have enjoyed reading to a first grade class I go to is Horrid Henry. Henry is truly horrid but the kids GASP and all his naughtiness and explain what he shouldn't do or say. And we get discussion on how to act better or things we can do. It's been really eye-opening. Anyway. I love your blog! I like how you write and yay for crafts. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top